Twitter's Project Bluesky

For those that are unaware, there is an effort happening now to decentralize the Twitter API.

Many of the goals are shared with this project, so there may be an opportunity to collaborate.

https://bluesky-community.net/

Thank you, Mike! We are indeed aware of Bluesky. They have a discord, and I’ve been following some of the conversations there. From my POV, it’s intriguing and as that work firms up, I hope it starts to make life easier for this project.

Thanks @mikestaub and @james. I doubt that anyone can have missed the reporting worldwide on Twitter/Elon Musk:

Musk puts Twitter acquisition ‘temporarily on hold’ (computing.co.uk)

A core tenet of Musk’s stated plans for Twitter is the removal of spam accounts from Twitter, and to insist that all human users should be verified. Verifying human users retrospectively will be challenging, legally, and is not trivial, technically. This will also impact the current, underlying advertising business model - lower advertising revenues. I think Project Liberty benefits from avoiding the challenges that are increasingly problematic for the current platforms :slight_smile:.
Kind Regards,
Patrick

1 Like

The focus includes the number of fake users on the platform:
Twitter accused by whistleblower of ‘egregious misrepresentations’ to Irish Data Protection Commission – The Irish Times
Kind Regards, Patrick

Most will have seen the intense reporting which is noteworthy.“…the original purpose of the blue verification checkmark. It was granted free of charge to people whose identity Twitter had confirmed; with journalists accounting for a big portion of recipients. “It simply meant your identity was verified. Scammers would have a harder time impersonating you,” Bertinelli said. “That no longer applies. Good luck out there!”:

Twitter will ban impersonators, Elon Musk says, as users flock to take his name | Elon Musk | The Guardian

Kind Regards, Patrick

1 Like